Business Terms & Conditions
By purchasing our goods and services, or applying for advertising facilities in our publications, you agree to be bound by the following which we reserve the right to alter without prior notice at our sole discretion.
Prisons.Org.Uk Ltd (POUK) is committed to dealing with you in an honest, straightforward and transparent way. Our policy explains how we will do this.
You must specifically agree to these terms and conditions, by ticking the appropriate box, before your online order can proceed, once you do so we will discharge all our obligations openly and deal with you in an open and transparent manner – we will expect our customers to deal with us in the same way.
1. PRISON LAW COURSES / What’s The Policy?
2. BOOK / MAGAZINE / NEWSPAPER / REFUNDS: What’s The Policy?
3. CONFERENCE REFUNDS: What’s The Policy?
4. BOOK / MAGAZINE / NEWSPAPER / DAMAGED ON ARRIVAL / RETURNS: What’s The Policy?
5. BOOK / MAGAZINE / NEWSPAPER DELIVERY & NON DELIVERY: What’s The Policy?
6. BOOK / MAGAZINE / NEWSPAPER ADVERTISING: What’s The Policy?
7. BOOKS: CANCELLATION/UNDER PAYMENT: What’s The Policy?
8. WEB SITE MEMBERSHIPS What’s The Policy?
1. PRISON LAW COURSES / What’s The Policy?
What we do: The Institute of Prison Law delivers training in prison law by way of attended courses, web based courses and distance learning packages.
Cancellation: If you sign up and pay for an attended or web based course but cancel your registration not less than 28 days before the event, in writing to email@example.com, and receive a cancellation reference, your fee will be refunded minus an administration charge of £34.99. If you sign up for a distance learning course but cancel your registration in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and receive a cancellation reference before any course materials have been sent out to you, your fee will be refunded minus an administration charge of £34.99.Cancellation less than 28 days before the event, or after dispatch of any course materials, will result in no refund of the course fees.
Pay as you Learn: The Institute operates the Certificate of Competency in Prison Law, it is an eight-module course which must be paid for in full prior to commencement – we do not offer a pay as you learn policy.
De-Registration: Once registered by completion and submission of registration form the full fee is payable on demand. If as a result of error an amount is paid that is not equal to the full current fee then the full fee is payable on demand once any course materials have been sent out; failure to pay the full fee within seven days of demand will result in de-registration and a pro rata refund based on the percentage of course modules sent out plus a £39.99 administration fee. Students should note that we have a zero tolerance policy of abuse of our staff. We also reserve the exclusive right to de-register any student, at any time, for any reason, at our sole and exclusive discretion, upon which we will refund a pro rata percentage of fees paid against course materials sent out, in addition to an administration fee of £39.99 to cover our costs.
The Course must be completed within one year of registration, and the Certificate is awarded to those who complete the course by passing all eight examinations with a minimum of 80% in each module.
1. We reserve the right to refund any transaction at our complete discretion and without explanation. Notwithstanding that we will generally only make a refund where we have made a mistake – and once we accept it is our fault we will move quickly to put things right. If we send you the wrong product, email email@example.com within 5 days of receipt. We will refund (credit) your card for the cost of the product plus postage, and debit your card when we send you the right product. We will advise you what to do with the wrong product.
We will only make a refund where we we have received written notice of cancellation (sent to firstname.lastname@example.org). If this notice is received at this email address more than 28 days before the events takes place a refund will be issued within seven days minus 25%. Where the notice of cancellation is received at the cancellation email address less than 28 days before the event no refund is given but we will accept substitutions on the day. Cancellations sent to any email address other than the cancellations email address will not be actioned
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are buying for a prisoner and we deliver the book and obtain a signature on delivery at the prison without any notification of damage on arrival, from that point forward any damage sustained is the responsibility of the prison; the signature on delivery, without notification of damage, discharges ALL our contractual obligations.
(1) If we send you a product which is DAMAGED ON DELIVERY AND IS NOTED ON THE DELIVERY RECEIPT, then please call 0845 4740013 and we will give you instructions on how to proceed; all damaged products must be returned to us within seven days so our insurers can inspect the damage and decide where the damage occurred – either in or after transit. If damage is found to be in transit we will immediately replace the book and refund the postage. If a claim is found to be fraudulent, in that damage said to have occurred in transit actually took place after delivery then our insurers have a policy of reporting all such cases to Action Fraud – we are Ministry of Justice Approved Book Retailers, as such we have secure processes in place to check the contents before they leave and on arrival; one customer claimed a book had been subject to water damage when tests by our insurers proved the ‘water damage’ was alcohol that must have happened after delivery and denied the claim.
(2) If we send you the wrong book title, call 0845 4740013 and we will give you instructions on how to proceed. We will arrange for the return of the wrong title at our expense, and re-supply you with a replacement product with the correct title.
(3) If we send the right book, addressed to the right person, but at the wrong address, call 0845 4740013 and we will give you instructions on how to proceed. Once we have confirmed that we have in error sent the book to the wrong address – that is an address other than that placed on your order – we will send you the right book, addressed to the right person at the correct address at our expense.
If we send the right book, to the right person, at the right address, and can confirm delivery at that address with our courier our contractual obligations are fully and finally discharged and we will NOT accept any returns, nor action any refunds, in relation to it.
Summary: We will NOT accept returns, nor take any action in relation to it, other than in the above three instances.
UK orders for books can take up to 28 working days, though will often be much less. Books are sent out by tracked courier – unless you select Special Delivery when ordering.
Once our courier delivers (or attempts to deliver if the item is refused, or no one is at home to sign for it) on ONE occasion only at the address to which we are authorised to deliver or attempt delivery, this fully and finally discharges our contractual obligation to deliver.
It is not our responsibility to ensure the book is accepted at the address to which we are asked to deliver it, nor to ensure someone is in the property to receive it – that is your responsibility because we have no control over these things – our obligation ends when delivery is made or attempted on one occasion only.
The status of a delivery or attempted delivery will be evidenced by the delivery status shown on our courier’s web site in relation to deliveries other than special delivery and the tracking number relevant to the item concerned – if that status is disputed that is an issue for our courier and the customer – it is not an issue we will become involved with. The courier delivery status is definitive from our point of view on the subject of delivery.We will not entertain, examine, or enter into correspondence regarding complaints about non delivery of an item ordered from us more than 60 (sixty) days from the date of online order or cheque clearance.
All application to advertise in our publications are submitted to us, and are only accepted by us, on the basis that advertisers agree that all the following conditions apply and that no departure from these conditions is valid unless that departure is in writing and signed by a Director of PRISONS ORG UK LTD.
1. Cancellation of advertising: Other than in the case of fixed term contracts, which have special prices (see 1A below), we accept that situations dictate events and that things can change – accordingly we do not seek to hold you to long term, contracts and we provide an easy method of cancellation: In a Nutshell: you give us one’ edition’s notice of cancellation, in writing to our cancellation email box, (see below) and we will first of all automatically acknowledge that email and, secondly, then contact you within 24 hours to bring matters to a close; if we don’t contact you then you must contact us.
Reconciliation: We offer discount prices to those who book to advertise for longer periods however we also accept things can change – if you book multiple issues and later wish to reduce your order just give us a minimum of one edition’s written notice prior to publication and we’ll simply revise (reconcile) our invoices to reflect the number of editions in which your advert has appeared – no questions asked!
Example: If you book 12 adverts at £50 per month and cancel after four months you will have to pay the price difference between the 12 months you booked (and whose discount you enjoyed) and the price applicable to the four months in which your advert appeared – we do NOT require you to pay for the eight months going forward.
Strict Terms. Cancellation must be in writing to email@example.com, upon receipt we will automatically issue an acknowledgement and then contact you within 24 hours – if we have not contacted you within that period it is your responsibility to contact us and make us aware of it. We will then issue a cancellation reference which is evidence of your accepted notice of cancellation – Cancellation without a Cancellation Reference is invalid.
Other than for adverts larger than a quarter page, where minimum contract rules apply (see 1A below), one edition notice period is required.
Upon cancellation it is your responsibility to cancel any bank mandates that you have with your bank to make payments to us – we do not operate a direct debit system and therefore the only way we can receive funds is by you instructing your bank to send it to us. If you fail to cancel the standing order mandate with your bank and as a consequence we continue to receive funds as a direct result of your failure to cancel we will refund such payments to you subject to a fee of 50% of each fee we receive and have to refund.
Artwork: Where the advertiser supplies the artwork it must be delivered to us in either Quark Xpress (.qxp), or hi res PDF (CMYK) and reach us a minimum of seven days before publication. If artwork supplied is not in an acceptable format, either technically or in terms of punctuality (ie is delivered late) we expressly reserve the right to substitute the artwork supplied for one supplied by us, without obtaining prior approval of the customer, at our sole discretion. In all such cases the substitute artwork will as a minimum display the name, address and contact details of the advertiser and other such information that we at our discretion consider positive and accurate.
Payment: No prior payment is required where the booking form is signed by a Partner, our terms are 14 days from publication: if payment is late we reserve the right to withdraw credit facilities and insist on payment prior to publication.
6(1A). Adverts larger than a quarter page – cancellation. Normally our prices for advertising are those set out in our published rate card however for sizes above a quarter page, where rolling minimum terms apply, these adverts are at rates substantially lower than those published and for the purposes of cancellation different rules apply because of the substantial discounts we offer for these size adverts. These adverts are subject to fixed terms and a minimum 90 day notice period on either side and unless notice of cancellation is given to firstname.lastname@example.org during this period the contract will automatically roll over for a further fixed period at the same rate and subject again to a 90 day cancellation notice period.
6(2). Publication & Printing: all publication dates, for all publications, are approximate and non-binding.
Experience: Converse is successful because it recognises that prisoners have a legitimate expectation to professional representation, for firms that practice prison law we translate this into practice by only advertising firms who confirm that they either:
(a) have been awarded an LSC Prison Law Contract, or
(b) the person supervising prison law in their firm holds the Certificate of Competency in Prison Law (www.prisonlaw.org.uk) – by submitting this form you are confirming one or both of these apply to your application.
(For criminal law (ie non-prison law) firms you must hold an LAA?Crime Contract)
(1) CANCELLATION: Once you place an order with us we incur costs, both in terms of online charges from shopping cart agents, our secure online payment gateway and we also incur administration costs in terms of staff time.
Therefore, we do not allow cancellation once the order has been placed and paid for and you specifically agree to this when confirming your agreement to our terms and conditions on purchase.
This is why we specifically require you to agree to these terms and conditions, including specifically this one, before you can place an online order with us.
Once you have agreed to these terms and conditions, by ticking the boxing showing your agreement, and placed and paid for the order, then the order cannot be cancelled.
However, we will consider cancellation applications in exceptional circumstances, this is at our sole discretion – such as where the intended recipient has passed away for example – but the circumstances must in our sole view be wholly exceptional and allowing a cancellation is always at our sole discretion and subject to conditions such as written application and the provision of proof that we deem appropriate.
(2) UNDERPAYMENT: We offer significant discounts to serving prisoners and registered charities. In order to ensure that the discounts we offer are given to the correct person or organisation, we will only ship these items to the prisoner direct or the registered address of the Charity. Where a book is bought purporting to be for a serving prisoner or a registered charity, but no address of the inmate or charity details are given – other than that of the cardholder – we will apply a STOP NOTICE until either the correct amount has been paid or all details of the prisoner or charity are provided.
If no such details are provided within seven days of the Stop Notice, we will apply a £29.99 administration fee, per book, and refund the remainder of the money paid.
We do this to ensure the bona fides of the person or charity for whom the book is bought at the discounted price are genuinely for them. We process refunds usually within five to seven business days to appear on your card and we have no control over this. We will send you confirmation of the refund once we have processed it.
(3) DELIVERY UK orders for books take 14 days, though will often be much less. Delivery is dependent on the correct carriage being paid – applies to all orders but especially to those that are sent outside the UK Mainland. Books are sent out tracked courier service – unless you select Royal Mail Special Delivery when ordering – signature of receipt at the address to which we are authorised to send the book fully and finally discharges our duty to deliver. Overseas orders for books can take 28 days but often much less
Where you are purchasing electronic items the sending by us to the email address provided when ordering fully and finally discharges our duty to deliver.
The Prison Oracle (“TPO”) provides a personalized subscription service that allows our members to access content on the TPO site (“TPO content”) over the Internet to certain Internet-connected devices (“TPO ready devices”).
1.1. Your TPO membership will continue until terminated. To use the TPO service you must have Internet access and a TPO ready device, and provide us with one or more Payment Methods. “Payment Method” means a current, valid, accepted method of payment, as may be updated from time to time, and which may include payment through your account with a third party. Unless you cancel your membership before your billing date, you authorize us to charge the membership fee for the next billing cycle to your Payment Method (see “Cancellation” below).
Discount Price Trials
2.1. Your TPO membership may start with a free trial. The duration of the free trial period of your membership will be specified during sign-up and is intended to allow new members and certain former members to try the service.
2.2. Newsdesk membership comes with a discount price trial period at the end of which unless cancelled you will be charged the full price which is currently 99p per week charged monthly in advance and you can cancel any membership at any time – see below. If we change the price we will always email you in advance so you have the opportunity to cancel. We believe in transparency and we treat our subscribers in exactly the same way as we ourselves would want to be treated – with openness and honesty. Discount trial eligibility is determined by TPO at its sole discretion and we may limit eligibility or duration to prevent discount trial abuse. We reserve the right to revoke any discount at any time and put your account on hold in the event that we determine that you are not eligible. We may use information such as device ID, method of payment or an account email address used with an existing or recent TPO membership to determine eligibility. For combinations with other offers, restrictions may apply.
2.3. We will charge the membership fee for the next billing cycle to your Payment Method at the end of the free trial period unless you cancel your membership prior to the end of the free trial period. To view the membership price and end date of your free trial period, visit our website and click on the “Account” page.
Billing and Cancellation
3.1. Billing Cycle. The membership fee for TPO and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of the service, such as taxes and possible transaction fees, will be charged to your Payment Method on the specific billing date indicated on your “Account” page. The length of your billing cycle will depend on the type of subscription that you choose when you sign-up for the service. In some cases your payment date may change, for example if your Payment Method has not successfully settled or if your paid membership began on a day not contained in a given month. Visit our website and click on the “Account” page to see your next payment date. We may authorize your Payment Method in anticipation of membership or service-related charges through various methods, including authorizing it for up to approximately one month of service as soon as you register. In some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization during your free trial period.
3.2. Payment Methods. To use TPO service you must provide one or more Payment Methods. You authorize us to charge any Payment Method associated to your account in case your primary Payment Method is declined or no longer available to us for payment of your subscription fee. You remain responsible for any uncollected amounts. If a payment is not successfully settled, due to expiration, insufficient funds, or otherwise, and you do not cancel your account, we may suspend your access to the service until we have successfully charged a valid Payment Method. For some Payment Methods, the issuer may charge you certain fees, such as foreign transaction fees or other fees relating to the processing of your Payment Method. Local tax charges may vary depending on the Payment Method used. Check with your Payment Method service provider for details.
3.3. Updating your Payment Methods. You can update your Payment Methods by going to the “Account” page. We may also update your Payment Methods using information provided by the payment service providers. Following any update, you authorize us to continue to charge the applicable Payment Method(s).
3.4. Cancellation. You can cancel your TPO membership at any time, and you will continue to have access to TPO through the end of your billing period. Payments are non-refundable and we do not provide refunds or credits for any partial membership periods. To cancel, go to the “Account” page and then cancel your membership by clicking the “Subscriptions” link. If you cancel your membership, your account will automatically close at the end of your current billing period. To see when your account will close, click on the “Account” page. If you signed up for TPO using your account with a third party as a Payment Method and wish to cancel your TPO membership, you may need to do so through such third party, for example by visiting your account with the applicable third party and turning off auto-renew, or unsubscribing from the TPO service through that third party. You may also find billing information about your TPO membership by visiting your account with the applicable third party.
Questions or queries?
Contact us on 0845 474 0013 during business hours.
email email@example.com for queries about publications, or firstname.lastname@example.org in relation to The Prison Oracle
write to us at
PRISONS ORG UK LTD, PO BOX 679, BURY. LANCASHIRE. BL8 9RU
We do not accept service of documents by Email
POUK is wholly owned by Number One Consultancy Group Co Ltd, (Company Number 0505560010061) who own all POUK assets, domains, intellectual property rights and 100% of shares in the company. Contracts signed by POUK we sign as agents and on behalf of our parent company, as such any such contract is binding solely on our principal owner.